Font Size


Q:  How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

A:  Copies of police reports (incident reports, accident reports, etc.) can be obtained by contacting BJCarter in the records division at 388-3191.  For Middlebury residents, there is no fee for these reports.  
For non-Middlebury residents, there is a $2.00 fee + $.50 per page over 10 pages.  NOTE:  Not all police
records are available to release to the public.  Additionally, police affidavits and other records in criminal
cases become public record after the arraignment of the defendant and can be obtained from district

Q:  How do I obtain a restraining order?

A:   Restraining orders, also known as Relief From Abuse Orders, Protection Orders, or Abuse
Prevention Orders, are issued to qualified individuals through family court.  During normal business
hours, call or stop by the family court (Superior Court: Addison Family Division telephone:  388-7741) to request an order.  
On weekends, holidays, or anytime when the court house is not open, call the 24 hour hotline at
1-800-540-9990.  The process of applying for such an order involves giving a written statement to an
employee of the court, who will then bring the statement before a judge to determine whether an order
will be granted.  If you have any questions about the process or feel you are in danger, contact the police

Q:  How do I arrange to have my fingerprints taken for employment/volunteer service purposes?

A:  This service cannot be provided by the Middlebury Police Department.  Contact the Addison County
Sheriff's Department, 388-2981, to make an appointment for fingerprinting.

Q:  How do I obtain a No Trespass Order against someone?

A:  A No Trespass Order (NTO), can be issued by any property owner (or their agent) for a location in
their lawful possession.  This order is intended to warn an unwanted party that their presence is
forbidden at a particular place and that violation will constitute the crime of Unlawful Trespass (13 VSA
§3705).  This is NOT the same as a Relief From Abuse Order, which must be issued by Family Court.  
Blank NTO's can be obtained at the Middlebury Police Department.  NTOs will remain on file at the
police department for one year from the date of service, after which they will be destroyed, unless
renewed.  NOTE:  Due to the high volume of requests, the police department will serve No Trespass
Orders on behalf of a property owner only in extenuating circumstances.

Q:  How do I have my vehicle identification number (VIN) verified?

A:  The police department provides this service free to Middlebury residents.  There is a $5.00 fee for
non-residents.  Call the police department to make arrangements for the VIN verification to be